Thursday, October 19, 2006

Home-made weather station


I have always been interested in tracking our local weather and have a rain gauge at home. I keep track of the rain and record it in a database. I now have about 2 years worth of information. But now I want more. I want to be able to track daily temperatures, wind speed, etc. Now, there are commercial products (Eagle, Inteltronics, Oregon Scientific, Weathershop) available, full weather stations that you can use at home, that will give you all of the above mentioned plus much more, all connected to your pc, with software which will even allow you to do forecasts! But they are a bit expensive, so I wanted to know if it was possible to manufacture your own weather station. It obviously won’t log results in a database on your pc, but I thought it might be fun to do.
I found a couple of sites that explains how to do this. The one that explains it the best, is this one . They have a detailed explanation with several ways of creating each item. The other has a PDF download. The best part is that it can be a family task, it’s that easy to do. This is what you will want to measure:
DIY Weather Station:
1. Temperature (Thermometer)
2. Rainfall (Rain gauge)
3. Air Pressure (Barometer)
4. Humidity (Hygrometer
5. Wind Speed (Anemometer) (and wind direction)
6. Hours of sunshine in a day (Sun-shine recorder - See p9 of the PDF) (and cloud cover)
Click on the links above to get and in depth how-to on each item. In addition to that, you will want to add visual observations to your recordings. For examples of a template for weather recording, go to here and here.
I am thinking of starting a weather blog / site, but I will post an update later.

4 comments:

ballistic explorer said...

I cannot help much, but I am very interested to see what you develop.

txdave said...

I like your blog for the color photos, maybe even a few more, and
the overall look.

I like color, photos, livliness, see what I mean:

http://blogs-apart.blogspot.com

http://browniesforbreakfast.blogspot.com

thnks dave

Kaustubh said...

Hmm interesting post , i like it.. what will you use to develop this..

Kaustubh
http://techbit.blogspot.com

SteelJaw said...

Materials are mentioned in the links, but I have come accross more info. i will post more on this subject later.

Cheers,

Steeljaw