Thursday, October 12, 2006

Popular myths


I have always found this subject interesting, believing some myths, while doubting most others. The thing with myths is, that they sound so damn believable, but deep down, you do doubt their validity. That is why I like Mythbusters. There is a whole list of all the myths they have ever tested on one of the fan sites. Out of the almost 200 myths, I have chosen 12 most well known or popular ones to feature here. Stuff that you always wondered about, but were never sure. Here goes:

1. It is more fuel efficient to drive with your windows down than with the AC on. I’m sure you have heard this one before. Its busted!
2. A car will explode when shot through the gas tank.This is a favourite in Hollywood, but not true! They blasted this car’s gas tank, about four guys blazing away – no luck! Busted!
3. Using a cell phone while pumping gas causes an explosion. This is said to be caused by static sparks not cell phones, so not true. Busted!
4. A cigarette can light a pool of gas on fire. One of my favourites. Almost all action movies has one of these scenes. They tried dropping and rolling it in gasoline, but could not get it done, so its plausible but not doable. Plausible.
5. A Daddy long-leg spider has the most potent venom of any spider. I have believed this for a very long time myself, but its jaws actually can pierce your skin and its not deadly, just mildly irritant. Busted!
6. The sound of a duck's quack does not echo. I never really believed this one, but not true any way. Busted!
7. A person can survive a freefalling elevator by jumping. Your downwards momentum will simply kill you anyway, if you jump of not. Busted!
8. A person can jump from an airplane and use an inflatable life raft to land. This is also a favourite because its used in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom – can’t be done in real though! Busted!
9. A lit match will remove flatulence odour. My grandparents used to have a box of matches in the loo for this – never thought twice about it! Busted!
10. Urinating on an electric fence can cause electrocution. No comment! Confirmed.
11. A person can be electrocuted while talking on the phone during a storm. I must admit, I never thought this is possible. Confirmed.
12. The suction of a sinking ship pulls a person under water. The survivors of the Titanic said getting away from the suction of the sinking ship was what saved them. Busted! This I found very interesting. They tested this on a 9 ton boat. they sank it twice and it did not create a vortex that pulled them down.

And you thought most of them were true! There are many more of those, go and check it out. Let me know of any myths that you have heard of or urban legends you found interesting.

7 comments:

txdave said...

Some clever stuff, but maybe a livlier format, some more color, different fonts, photos.

See what I mean:

http://browniesforbreakfast.blogspot.com

http://assertivenesssucceeds.blogspot.com

plz leave comment thnks dave

SteelJaw said...

Thanks txdave! Will see what I can do. I think i will start by putting in more photos.

Cheers,

Steeljaw

Skanky Jane said...

Hi Steeljaw,

I too like Mythbusters and other programs (in various formats and media) that 'bust' myths.

For instance the 'Urban Legends Reference Pages' at http://www.snopes.com/. This site explores the origins of various myths and/or rumours and checks thier validity.

I found your site through your posting at Google Groups > Blogger Help > Share Your Blog.

SJ xx

Tyler said...

These were great! I always thought that if you drove with the windows down I was actually saving fuel...thanks for crushing a dream, haha!

ballistic explorer said...

I can kind of cofirm the phone one myself, I was about 1 km from home once and heard a rifle shot, I though my college was doing pest control but when I came home he was standing in my "stoep" lookin at the telephone wire. The entire wire, including inside the house was burned to crisp, thphone jacks and parts of the phone inside were burnt. that was the shot that i heard from 1km away.

Anonymous said...

Damn! Watching 'The Birds' will never be the same again, now I know that that cigarette couldn't have started that fire!

cj. said...

Steeljaw,
Great site! I too am a fan of Mythbusters. Watch it all the time. One of my favorites was the exploding gas tank as well but I have many other favorites from that show. You have some great stuff here, especially the weather forcasts. I will be making regular visits. Keep them coming.

Cj.
www.digitaworlds.blogspot.com